Monday, October 18, 2010

Blog Post #9

"What I've Learned This Year"
by Mr. McClung
picture of students raising their hand in a classroom

Mr. Clung shared his experience about his first year being a teacher. He talked ab
out the do's and don'ts of being an effective teacher. I agree with his post and will incorporate his ideas when I become an educator. Communication is an important factor when dealing with others. If we practice effective communication skills a lot of misunderstandings wouldn't occur. We as future teachers should always encourage students rather than discourage them. Teachers should help students stay on the path to success. A teachers' focus should not be on self but on the students. We should ask "How can I serve my students in an effective manner?" I also agree that teachers should never stop learning. So many people are afraid to admit they've changed their mind about a subject. If we are afraid of change then are we really learning new ideas? I believe we are all students until the end of time. The learning process should never end for anyone, let alone teachers. We should embrace new and fresh ideas, for it is not always about you as an individual. I will keep these tips in mind when I become a Special Education teacher.
a note to self

2 comments:

  1. LaChandra,

    I absolutely agree with your post! Especially about "...we are all students until the end of time." I am not afraid to admit I learn things from my six year old. I just wish more people would admit to it as well. There is nothing wrong with adults learning from children, but most teachers think there is something wrong with it. I hope when I am a teacher I do not change the way I feel about learning and encouraging the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Mr. McClung did was more important than what he said. He engaged in a thorough, honest self reflection and reported it in public. That is one of the most important things that I hope you will take away from this assignment.

    ReplyDelete