Sunday, October 24, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

Sir Ken Robinson: Changing Educational Paradigms
What do you think is the most important thing Sir Ken Robinson says in this presentation? "ADHD is not an epidemic." I have often thought about why so many students now struggle with paying attention? It is now clear that the students are not interested and the teachers are boring! The teacher view the student as a behavior problem because he/she are bored and playing with something while the teacher is lecturing. When the student becomes bored and uninterested in the teacher the first thing the child is labeled ADHD. The teacher should be labeled instead of the students. In public schools today, teachers are teaching standardized testing. Everything lesson in the curriculum is scripted and teachers are afraid to alter the information because of the possibility of losing their job.
Is there anything you disagree with in this presentation? I agree with the entire concept of his presentation. I also enjoyed the way he presented the information using RSA animate. The use of this tool caught my attention and kept me interested in the information. I think new tools, such as rsa animate, should be used as a teaching method to keep the students focused.
How congruent are Sir Ken Robinson's positions with those which you are being taught in the College of Education. In other word
s, where is there agreement? Where is there disagreement?
Knowledge comes with experiences. It all comes down to experiences. I think some standardized testing are bias because it test on what an they think an "average" student should know. What if I'm not average but a little more than average in another area. Just because a student is unfamiliar with the testing materials doesn't prove what they know or don't know. We need to find another way of figuring out what a student has learned rather than standardized testing.
What can you do to address the issues Sir Robinson r
aises? I will strive to teach and learn different strategies of approaching education. Even though there are goals set to be met in education, I would teach students "how" to learn instead of teaching "what "to learn.
What do you think of the presentation? If you had to do a presentation with others like this, what role on your team would you like most to play? I enjoyed the use of RSA animate in this presentation. It was interesting and kept my attention for the entire 11 minutes. I would want to play the Idea Generator.

sir ken robinson's rsa animate

No comments:

Post a Comment