Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post #8

This is How We Dream Part 1 & 2
by Richard E. Miller


In this video Richard E. Miller discussed the new way of writing. Instead of writing a book and waiting for it to be published, simply use technology to share ideas. There are so many ideas that can be shared in different ways using technology. This information will be viewable infinitely instead of books being out of print. He mentioned how fast information is shared through technology rather waiting for things to be published on paper. He referred the changes as an incremental change and not a fundamental change.
"Ideas don't belong to us individually, but they they belong to us as a culture". I agree with this statement. Ideas should be shared in order to progress in a positive manner. Ideas should be shared globally and freely. This type of writing does not limit your ideas and abilities to the classroom teacher. Other people ideas merging together makes learning a lot easier.
I think this video was a must see. It opens your mind to a whole new level of sharing ideas instead of the traditional way. I know almost everyone has hear the saying "by the time a news is printed in the newspaper, it's already old news". Technology has presented many ways to share ideas in a fast manner. However, Richard Miller mentioned teaching how to write this way hasn't yet been invented.I think we are being prepared in EDM310 class to begin the process of writing in this manner. I have learned so many new techniques in this class to share with my students in the future.


The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies

These videos were interesting and gave real encounters of ever day feelings while taking EDM310.The videos were also funny and kept my attention. I have been through similar situations as "Chipper" looking for other jobs avoiding the long process of going to school. Obviously, it didn't work because I'm back in school now. In the past I have thought why do teachers stress the importance of deadlines? Now I know that everything in life revolves around deadlines.
EDM 310 for Dummies is much needed for technologically illiterate students taking EDM 310. This class is overwhelming to person who has no idea of new technology advances. I felt overwhelmed at the beginning of this class. I had trouble understanding how to complete some assignments. However, the additional instruction and lab assistants has made EDM 310 less stressful.
I would like to create or participate in videos that are humorous and has a life learned lesson. I would like for my video to be meaningful and relevant. The humor is in addition to keep the viewer interested.

Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative and Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards compared to Why Use an Interactive Smartboard?

I agree with both perspectives of using smartboards. I understand that technology itself is not the learning tool but its how we present material with technology. Teaching lessons using smartboards somehow keep the attention of students longer than using the nonactive whiteboard. I agree that smartboards are expensive and giving it all the credit for learning is overrated. I don't think smartboards are the learning guru, however I believe it is a great learning tool for students with different learning styles.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lachandra, I definitely agree with the importance of keeping up with deadlines...it's a daily struggle. I'm glad we are exposed to these blogs, videos etc. that force us to re-examine ourselves and how we approach things. (My blog post is now up)

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LaChandra. I agree with you here. When I first began EDM 310 I struggled as well. I think the lab assistants are probably the only thing that's gotten me this far. Good job here.

    ReplyDelete