Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blog Post #10

An Open Letter to Educators
post by Morgan Bayda video by Dan Brown

The teaching methods most teachers use are out dated and mostly focusing on memorizations and facts. I agree with Morgan that long lectures and short interactions with peers are somewhat cheating us out of a "liberal education". I have attended three different colleges and yet the learning routine are the same. Buy books that will never be opened, take notes from professor, memorize the notes for the test, and repeat steps until completing course. We are rarely tested on what we think but on what others are telling us to think. Sometimes it is hard to express your opinions about situations because some professors think they are right and there is no other way to think.
The internet is a tool where facts, knowledge and anything else you can think of are free. However, dropping out of school won't get you anywhere! Everyone knows that obtaining a degree is more suitable for better living. No matter how much information you learn and read on the internet it all boils down to proving what you know, which is by showing your credentials on paper. I agree with Dan on education today is not preparing us for the future. Yes we are paying Universities for information we could simply learn on the internet, but that's just how the system is set up! I do wish that the approach to education would change to giving individuals a voice in their learning. Some teachers are taking steps to independent learning and incorporating new ideas into the curriculum. It is a work in progress....

by Larry Ferlazzo
Interesting post!! I must honestly say I've never thought about pencils as being a toy until reading this post. The information seems to be so true. Mostly in a household pencils and pens are giving to children to scribble on paper during play time. Some parents never tell their child the significants of writing with a pencil. This post was an unusual but great observation of the use of pencils in a low-income household.

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life
by Daniel Pink

Everyone has a story and different things that motivates their improvement in life. What's your sentence? Was I better today than yesterday? These questions should be asked to begin the path of improvement. This post helped me realize everyone has their own sentence but almost the same goal, improvement. I like to think of myself as a dream catcher, therefore my sentence is: "I will devote my time to teaching students useful information and helping them reach their goals in life."

2 comments:

  1. We had some similar ideas about these post. I have never thought of pencils as a toy until reading this post. I agree with you when you say that parents never tell their child about the significant of writing with a pencil. Parents usually hand the pencils over just to keep the child's attention. The video about the questions was great. It is is so true, everyone has the same goal of improvement. I did not really think of that when watching the video, but that is great. You have a great sentence too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post LaChandra!

    I agree with you, dropping out will not accomplish anything. I think it is important for us as teachers and students to realize that we are all a part of a change in education and we must take the good with the bad. Something as big as education can not change overnight but it can, and is in the process of changing. EDM 310 is a great example. This is only the third semester that this format has been attempted and it is getting better all the time. Just a little over two years ago I started with EDM 310 and it was very much still a traditional course. We have come a long way. So, taking a, “The glass is half-full,” position, I would say that this is a great time to be an educator as we are on the verge of an educational revolution the likes of which has never been seen before. I for one am delighted. SS

    ReplyDelete