Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog Post #2

student in a classroom

Did You Know 3.0 by Karl Fisch

Did you Know 3.0 was an interesting and informative video. After reviewing the video, I thought to myself, what is going to happen in the years to come? We as a country are not prepared for the future. We must change our teaching and learning methods or else we will be left behind like cavemen. Our students need to be well prepared to transition from high school to the fast pace world. However, most U.S. schools don’t have enough funding to provide computers to students.

Jobs are becoming more technical than physical. It is imperative for teachers to learn and start teaching up to date materials. Learning Microsoft Word, Excel, and access is cool but it's ancient. Teachers must acquire information to help our students compete globally. I believe if we don't change our system of learning soon, we as the United States will fade away as being a third world country.

Mr. Winkle Wakes by Mathew Needleman

Mr. Winkle Wakes was funny but the message was far from a joke. There are scartoon of Mr. Winkle Wakeso many people wandering around lost just like Mr. Winkle. In order to survive in this day in time we need to become technology literate. Everywhere Mr. Winkle went was rolling on into the new day and age except school. School is where you suppose prepare students for the future, but it seems as if we are preparing them for the past.

I think teachers should incorporate technology into everyday lessons. The students would become comfortable and gain knowledge of what's actually going on outside of school walls. Incorporating technology into the curriculum will change the statistics of success in America. These videos definitely changed my view of technology and how it is affecting our Americans today.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

"If you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original." ---Sir Ken Robinson
Sir Ken Robinson stated that students are being educated out of creativity. I agree with this statement. I remember being in elementary school and being told that my method of learning was inappropriate and unnecessary. I had a hard time remembering certain information so i use to make up songs about the information and dance to it. I was forced to learn the typical way. I became irritated and was no longer interested in the information. That semester I received my first bad grade. I was embarrassed and ashamed to participate in class because I thought of myself as being dumb.
I agree with Sir Ken about humanities and arts are just as important as math and science. Educators should realize that children are not mini teachers. Children should be able to express their thoughts and talents as well as the teachers express theirs. Public schools focus so much on academics and standardized testing than students’ logistics by participating in music, dance, art and etc. Please stop taking creativity from our children. As Sir Ken said, "It is our job to help them[students] make something of the future.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

I commend Vicki Davis for the effort she has put forth to educate her students in the rural area of Georgia. She has exposed them to things that most people didn't know exist. Prior to viewing this video, I did not know what avatar and terraform meant. Vicki not only spread knowledge to her students but to anyone who viewed her video. I think this type of learning should be required in all schools. This form of teaching helps the students broaden their horizons.
Educators should take the same approach in schools today. This would make school more interesting and informative at the same token. Pen and paper will soon be obsolete and the students who are not technology literate will be out of date also. Vicki Davis made a big step towards preparing students for the future, hopefully more will follow her footsteps.


2 comments:

  1. Hey LaChandra,

    I really think that you are the teacher that so many kids need right now. I see that you show a strong opinion about where schools are today and where we need to be going, not back to the past.

    Great job on using your links! This makes it much easier for people exploring your blog so they can get to those videos quickly. I saw that you had two very small mistakes with grammar, and I'm sure you will find them if you look over it again.

    Your blog is looking really good! Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete