Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Post 3

Micheal Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

"I did not create the problems, but they are my problems!" This quote stood out to me while watching this video. The message in this video is powerful. In my classes teachers are still using chalkboards, whiteboard, and overhead projectors. I can't believe that teachers still want to write so much information on the board and then erase it. It's like they are writing for exercise.
We just recently received smart boards in our classes, but the teacher still use power points instead of incorporating new ideas to teach the info. My teachers are also still inviting speakers to the classroom instead of using skype as a way of communicating. They could create a podcast, video, or skype with others instead of creating a power point for every chapter. We as students pay so much money to attend college to only graduate and know nothing about technology. It's time that we jump aboard and get with the program. It seems as if school is the only place that is stuck in time. School is the foundation of our lives and we are not getting adequate information there.
This movie basically summed up my college experience. All of my classes, except for one, are lectures and power points. When I become a teacher, I hope to have resources to expose computer technology to my students.

"It's Not About Technology" by Kelly Hines

I definitely agree that teachers must also be learners. The state could provide all types of technology and equipment to schools, but if the teachers don't know how to use it then the equipment goes to waste. Some teachers don't feel the need to change. They think since they have been teaching for 25 yrs they know everything.This is so untrue. We never stop learning; new ideas and technology are emerging every day.

We just received smartboards in our education classes about a year ago. The teachers are still using power point presentation on them. I'm thinking if the teachers are not going to use it for new advancement then the university should be issued a refund. New equipment doesn't help at all if no one puts it to use. I think the teachers should be opened to new new ideas about technology into the classroom. One teacher was lost when she saw the smartboard. She did not know how to write on it, so she picked up a piece of chalk and began to write on the chalkboard. I thought to myself, why didn't she at least try to figure out how to operate the smartboard? After reading Mrs. Hines' post, the answer became clear to me, teachers must also be learners in order to prepare for the future.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

The answer to this question is of course not! It is ridiculous how some teachers think it is okay to use the same teaching method they've used for years. The world has advanced and the schools are stagnant. Students attend school for years and graduate knowing nothing. It's time for teachers to accept the fact that computers are here to stay. It's not a trend that's going away. Teachers need to realize it's not okay to teach students and have no clue about technology. Books, paper, and pens are becoming obsolete, so are the teaching methods.
The requirement for teachers should be technology literate. Why are the standards so low for teachers' certification? In my education classes, I rarely use a computer. I know the classes should require more technology, but the teachers are not incorporating technology into the curriculum. There is no need for finger pointing but we need to start learning from our mistakes.

3 comments:

  1. LaChandra,
    I agree completely with your outlook on Karl Fisch's post. I don't think it's acceptable for a teacher not to be technologically literate. As I said in my own blog, a person cannot teach another person to understand computers and technology if that person doesn't understand it either. How can you teach someone something if you are unaware of it yourself? It makes no sense to me. As a substitute teacher, I see technology in every class I sub. I also believe that you're right about technology not being a trend that's going to leave us. It's not like fashion that fades. It's here to stay, and it's here to make our lives better and more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post LaChandra! As you pointed out new equipment is useless if it is not put to use. I thought this was a great point. I sometimes visit classrooms and I see some of the technology that is available not being used. I think in some cases the problem is a failure to obtain adequate training for current teachers. But, as we are learning in EDM 310, the teacher could still try and provably figure out how to operate the smart board very quickly.

    Your blog is looking great. Don't forget to proof read before posting. Otherwise, Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great post! Teachers should be brushed up on technology! As you said, "It is here to stay and it is not a trend!". This is so true! This seems to be such an issue these days! I don't think anyone could use the excuse that they haven't been taught. We are going through this class with little to no personal contact with a teacher. You do things for yourself, for the most part, and you figure it out. You cannot rely on someone for the rest of your life. Sometimes you have to get up and work for something. Okay, sorry! I will get off of my soap box now! I love your post! I think you did a great job! Hailey R.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete